Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
E is for... Eggs

Look all the beautiful colours. It's so lovely.

As i haven't buy my D-ingredient i thought it was time to go for the E. And i've chosen Eggs as for me E is for egg as C is for chocolate. I couldn't do without. I mean eggs are one of the ingredients i use most. I love a simple fresh "oeuf à la coque" (soft-boiled egg) with some good baguette and emmental for a great homey supper as much as i love a sophisticated poached egg with blanched asparagus and sauce hollandaise as much as i love cakes (and you know i love cakes). The combinations using eggs are endless as you can see. They are so versatile; you can go from fancy cooking to laid-back casual cooking.
I can't live if i don't have any eggs in the fridge; and no, i'm not exagerating. For me an egg represents life. Firstly because it's oval-shaped and beautiful as the life is and then because some eggs contains embryos. OK, i see your face now saying "and then i'm eating live being"I even sometimes have periods when i think to myself "i can't eat anymore eggs, that's disgusting!"; but you know if you buy your eggs from the supermarket, most of them aren't fecondated and don't have that red spot, which is the embryo. Anyway i like to buy my eggs from a lovely farm market where you can get some extra fresh, extra large eggs. Actually my motto about the eggs is "the fresher they are the best they are".

Another thing i love about eggs is their colours and by that i mean the differents shades of their shell but also the different shades of the yolks : i love to see how red they seem to be in Italy compared to the pale white-like egg yolks in England and the perfect yellow in France.

Now let me tell you a word about the recipe i've chosen. Ever since i met David, my English boyfriend, i've been introduced to the English kitchen and all my (wrong) ideas about English food vanished : it is indeed all the opposite of what is said in France; good, homey, tasty, exotic cooking.
One of my favourites is the Yorkshire pudding. It may be my n°1 dish ever. I think i could eat an etire plate of Yorshire pudding along with some good chicken gravy. I could have this every day, for every meal. I am a Yorkshire pudding addict and definitely proud of it. When i first have those it was very satisfying and then i asked my boyfriend's mother the recipe and was very surprised there was no raising factor: sometimes the alchemy of food gives us wonderful things.


THE RECIPE : YORKSHIRE PUDDING
makes 6 and serves 3 or 1 if you're like me (fanny : delia says it is enough for 8 as i've already doubled the quantities to feed my Yorkshire puds (as i friendly call them)

150g plain flour
2 eggs
150ml full-fat milk
100ml water
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp beef dripping for the pan (fanny : i use olive oil and a 6-buns muffin tin)

Preheat the oven to 220°C and place the greased tin in it to get a pipping hot oil. In a bowl sift the flour, make a well in the center and gradually incorporate the eggs, milk and water. Stir until you've got a smooth batter; add seasonning. Divide between the 6 buns muffin tin and bake for 20-25min or until golden-brown and puffy. Eat straight from the oven or don't eat at all.

Labels: ,






5 sweets:
Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I just want to comment on the new photo of you, it is a lot better than the old one! Not that the old one was bad, but this is better

Also enjoying the alphabet!

31 August, 2005 00:43 

Blogger *fanny* said something sweet:

Hi liz, my mum thought the old photo was awful too. I finally decided to change it after a month.
I'm happy you like the alphabet...
Fanny

31 August, 2005 00:49 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

To clarify: you looked like a cute and friendly kid in the other photo but in this you look like a beautiful and intelligent woman instead! I can definitely see why your mother would prefer it ;)

Now anxious to meet you own character: F! Will it be Figs? Flour?

31 August, 2005 13:07 

Blogger plum said something sweet:

Fanny I loved this post and put up a photo of Australian eggs yolks on my blog at http://myfavouriteplum.blogspot.com/2005/09/eggy.html so that you can see it!

Hope you like it!

07 September, 2005 12:46 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Nice job on your blog! I am book marking your site for future reference.

I have recently created a gardening gift
site/blog. It pretty much covers gardening gift related stuff.

Stop by and check it out if you have time.

12 October, 2005 14:09 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam