Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Willy Wonka's ever lasting chocolate gelato

A little more than a year ago, the movie Charlie and the Chocolate factory was finally released on screen.
As a foodie and chocolate-addict I had to see it. I was sure I would enjoy and I did.
The story is great. But my favourite part of the movie is the behind-the-scene stuff: the luscious chocolate river, the whipped cream, the back-shop… A pure delight for both the eyes and mind.

Ever since I’ve been obsessed with chocolate (ok I admit I am finding a reason to my ever-chocolate-obsession); but how one can’t be obsessed with chocolate once one discovers the creativity and yumminess of Willy Wonka’s chocolates.

Sometimes I like to think that the WW chocolate factory does exist and that I am able to buy its delicious treats.
Sadly I can’t.
But by making this gelato I found the true essence of Willy Wonka’s ever lasting chocolate gelato: creamy, intense, delicious.

To tell the truth I came across gelato quite late in life. All I knew was crème glacée [ice cream] and sorbet.
I’ve always find ice cream a bit too creamy and sorbets a bit too icy; so the discovery of gelatos (or gelati) has changed my whole perception of iced delights.
I don’t really know how gelato should be defined, but in my approach a gelato (which is by the way the Italian name for ice cream) is an ice cream made without cream, but still containing eggs and dairy products.

I love gelato for many reasons:
it is creamy but not heavy
it is soft and not icy
in one word: THE ice cream luxury

As Willy Wonka could have said!

From Gourmet magazine July 99

Intense chocolate gelato
This gelato is very intense. I love its deep chocolate-flavour, its creamy texture and the fact that it holds its shape well even by hot summer weather.

Intense chocolate gelato
makes 1L

60g high-quality dark chocolate
375ml whole milk (fanny: I used semi-skimmed milk)
250ml condensed milk
160g white caster granulated sugar
100g Van Houten cocoa powder, sifted
4 large egg yolks
pinch salt

Coarsely chop the chocolate.
In a heavy saucepan bring the milk, condensed milk, and about half of sugar just to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the cocoa powder and chocolate, whisking until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
In a bowl beat the egg yolks, remaining sugar and salt until thick and pale. Add the hot chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into saucepan. Cook the custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Pour the custard through a sieve into a metal bowl set in ice and cold water and cool. Chill the custard, covered, until cold. Churn the custard in an ice-cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden for several hours.

Labels: , ,






10 sweets:
Blogger Elodie said something sweet:

ce sera le 1er essai de mon futur "ice cream maker" promess !

16 July, 2006 22:44 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Gelato is my favorite frozen treat too. It has the perfect texture, and the flavors seem more intense and smooth. Your photo has me craving some gelato!

17 July, 2006 00:26 

Blogger Ginger M. said something sweet:

i agree with natalia. mmm.. the image will haunt me till I get my next fix..

17 July, 2006 08:49 

Blogger Alhya said something sweet:

Charlie et la Chocolaterie était un de mes bouquins préférés quand j'étais petite, on se le lisait et relisait tant et plus avec mes frères et soeur,s'imaginant la rivière en chocolat... j'avoue que le film était moins époustoufflant que les souvenirs de ma propre imagination... mais ta glace mérite infiniment de figurer dans la chocolaterie de W W!!

17 July, 2006 13:18 

Blogger Jen said something sweet:

I love gelato more than anything and also for those same reasons that you mentioned. This looks intensely good and your photos are amazing as always.

17 July, 2006 17:28 

Blogger Pomme Pomme Girl said something sweet:

et Charlie, il a aimé?
moi, ça me plaît+++++

17 July, 2006 19:08 

Blogger dorothee said something sweet:

Oh, that gelato... makes me want to grab one of those spoons out of the picture! Do you think the gelato can be made without an ice cream maker, or is that absolutely essential?
By the way, how do you get your photos to fill the full width of your post?

17 July, 2006 22:51 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Looks and sounds wonderful!

I have still not seen the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but I LOVE the original movie with Gene Wilder, have you ever seen it? It's fantastic!

18 July, 2006 07:46 

Blogger Catherine said something sweet:

gorgeous photo! I've been waiting for chocolate jalapeno gelato to come to our local gelato store.

20 July, 2006 01:24 

Blogger Banlieue Blog said something sweet:

Oh boy! I'm off to buy my condensed milk, this looks too good to pass up and make.
Hope it isn't too hot down there!
Melissa

20 July, 2006 18:48 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam