Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Fernand et le potimarron magique - Pumpkin pie et autres délices d'automne

[Fernand and the magic potimarron - Pumpkin pie and other autumn treats]

It happens once a week, sometimes even twice.
While I’m drinking my ever-favourite matcha soy latte on the stairs just in front of the main door of my house, I spot a paper bag, hanging on the gate.

I remember the first time; me, leaving the cup of tea on the higher step and walking down - slightly hesitant. I grab the vintage brown paper bag suspended on the faded gold gate.
The corners of the bag are stained.
I carefully open it while going up the stairs and to my greatest delight I discover its content: bright-orange carrots, gorgeous potimarron, shiny shallots and delicious coings [quinces].

Then I see a small paper - maintained pleated by a fine raffia ribbon - at the bottom of the bag. I carefully untie the bow and read the sweet note:
‘J’espère que ça vous plaira, ce ne sont que de modestes légumes de mon jardin mais qui sentent délicieusement bon l’automne.
Si vous avez un peu de temps, je serai ravi de vous faire visiter mon potager.
Fernand’

[I hope you’ll like it. Only humble vegetables from my garden, but they deliciously smell like autumn.
If you’ve got a little spare time, I’ll be glad to show you my kitchen garden.]

What a kind person! From then, I’ve been waiting for that old paper bag and literally craving for it.
And when it’s finally time for the sweet delivery I can’t refrain that smile on my face.

I smile. Sheer joy. But also because I can’t help but imagine Fernand picking his most beautiful vegetables, packing them with love and quietly hanging the bag on the gate without I even notice.


Pumpkin pie


Pumpkin pie has always been on of my favourites. It reminds me of the warmth and treasures of autumn.
I remember making this exact pumpkin pie years ago and I sincerely can't remember who gave me the recipe. All I know is that's it's both a keeper and a crowd-pleaser.
ps. I’m not giving exact cooking times because I didn't write them down.
As you can see on the picture the edges of the pie crust are slightly burnt: I tried to bake blind the pastry first and then bake the whole pie, which obviously didn't turn out as expected. Thus I can only advise you to check the pie now and then. It is cooked when set but still a little soft in the centre.


Pumpkin pie
serves 8

one sweet short crust pastry (I used Pierre Hermé’s recipe)
600g pumpkin, skinned and cut into 2cm chunks
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g light muscovado sugar
350g condensed milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the pumpkin chunks into a roasting pan, loosely cover with foil and bake until soft (it should be easy to cut with a fork). Blend in a food processor, move to a sieve and allow to cool for at least an hour.
In a large bowl, mix the eggs, condensed milk, sugar, salt and spices. Add the pumpkin purée and stir well until smooth.
Line a 24cm tart tin with baking paper and drape the pastry into the tin.
Fill with the pumpkin mixture and bake at 180°C until cooked (see note above).
Cool completely before eating.

Labels: , , ,






25 sweets:
Blogger Hélène Picken said something sweet:

De trés belles photos.

08 October, 2006 20:28 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I like the pictures !

08 October, 2006 20:40 

Blogger Fabienne said something sweet:

Oh,it's gorgeous !

08 October, 2006 20:41 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

What a lovely neighbour you've got... And he has got just the right looks! I love pumpkin pie, but never cook any, thanks for this recipe! And thanks to Fernand!

08 October, 2006 20:41 

Blogger Papilles et Pupilles said something sweet:

Les photos sont pleine de poésie !

08 October, 2006 20:57 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

That's so funny, mine is the oven ! I mean my pumpkin pie eh, not my Fernand (i don't have any unfortunately !). Smells sooooo good !

08 October, 2006 21:20 

Blogger Alanna Kellogg said something sweet:

Does Fernand know he's now a famous among Fanny's Foodbeam's fans?

08 October, 2006 21:32 

Blogger Alhya said something sweet:

superbe!!

08 October, 2006 21:53 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

So lovely and beautiful pictures !

08 October, 2006 22:35 

Blogger Lisa Johnson said something sweet:

What a great post! It was worth the wait! I love pumpkin pie and so nice that you have such a sweet neighbor. Merci!

08 October, 2006 23:16 

Blogger Unknown said something sweet:

Tes photos sont magnifiques, et ta pumpkin pie me fait envie, je n'en ai jamais goûté mais je sens que je vais bientôt essayé...!

09 October, 2006 10:03 

Blogger cucina testa rossa said something sweet:

what a darling site - sweet and pink - and beautiful pictures! i'm with you in your love of pierre herme :)

09 October, 2006 15:39 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

So nice to hear from you again! What a lovely story, and your photos are more gorgeous than ever.

09 October, 2006 19:41 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

yeah a new post!!! =)
loved reading your story, wish I had a neighbour like Fernand!
beautiful pictures and very nice pumpkin pie - must try!
(can you believe I’ve never ever tasted pumpkin pie??)

10 October, 2006 10:48 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Fanny, those are such GORGEOUS pictures! How lucky you are to have such a source for splendid seasonal produce.

And your pumpkin pie looks absolutely divine, like the very essence of Fall.

10 October, 2006 14:58 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Yum, pumpkin pie is my favorite too! Looks so delicious!

10 October, 2006 22:01 

Blogger Kate said something sweet:

Wow, isn't fresh food the best gift ever?! How lucky you are to have attracted such wonderful gifts. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

11 October, 2006 18:11 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Adorable Fanny. Si jolies photos qui font si bien vivre ton histoire! J'adore!

12 October, 2006 08:20 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Nice pictures! I love quinces, but cannot find them here :(

13 October, 2006 04:04 

Blogger Joycelyn said something sweet:

dear fanny, you are just the sweetest ;) i love the idea of that pumpkin pie filling - the use of condensed milk is such a genius idea (i can just imagine how the flavours must work together!)

14 October, 2006 02:55 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

What a stunning looking pumpkin pie.

I've never tasted a pumpkin pie. I normally serve it roasted as a veg accompaniment to roast dinners.

When i'm brave enough, i will most definitely try this recipe cos it look so good. Thanks Fanny!

15 October, 2006 20:52 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Trés poétique et toujours parfait , les photos et mise en page splendide .....
Garance

17 October, 2006 09:12 

Blogger Camille Clech said something sweet:

Quelles photos ! Quelles couleurs ! Tu as saisi et réussi à rendre toute la beauté de l'automne !
Et cette tarte me fait vraiment de l'oeil... Merci Fanny.

18 October, 2006 20:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Fanny that is so sweet! Beautiful photos!

19 October, 2006 03:25 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Tried this recipe for Halloween and it was an absolute delight !!! Thanks so much. You're a real star!

12 November, 2006 18:26 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam