Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Monday, October 17, 2005
Chocolate-cherry cupcakes


3 reasons why i made these :
- when i go to U.K., one of my greatest pleasure is to visit the local supermarket. I know it may seem strange and i can already hear you saying "poor girl, she buys things in a supermarket", but in british supermarkets i can find little treasures like cream of tartar, ready made royal icing, dried/frozen/fresh cranberries, esay action yeast and natural glacé cherries. So when i went to Kingston in May i went to my beloved Waitrose located in John Lewis (another English great thing - department stores) and got out of there my arm full of goodies; including natural glacé cherries (produced in France, but i can't find them over there !!!). So i put these english gems in my cupboard and have to admit i almost forgot them. But here they are and really have to be used before feb 06.
- since i've discovered chocklit wonderful blog about cupcakes i decided i could make cupcakes - they're so nice, beautiful and easy to make and eat. I've litteraly been dreaming about cupcakes over the last few days...
- i've made a list of recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess to make and those chocolate- cherry cupcakes were part of that list.

Chocolate cherry cupcakes (from HTBADG, page 196)
I used a griotte jam (griotte is a kind of small and very perfumed cherries) instead of morello cherry jam. And i replaced the self-raising flour by 150g plain flour (tipo 00) and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder - i can say i was inspired by chocklit experience for red velvet cupcakes.

These cupcakes rose beautifully and as Nigella i love their dark, glossy elegance. I can't say you really taste the cherry in the cupcake, but you definitely feel a hint of sweetness/bitterness given by the cherries.

Labels: ,






2 sweets:
Blogger plum said something sweet:

Fanny, I've been wanting to make those since I spotted the recipe last week, but I haven't been able to find the natural glace cherries anywhere in Melbourne!

They look so lovely in Nigella's photo and in yours and I just don't think that a bright red fluro cherry is going to do justice to the swirls of chocolate frosting (or to the jam in the cupcake). I am starting to think I'll have to candy them myself. That, or make my way to Waitrose!

18 October, 2005 05:43 

Blogger *fanny* said something sweet:

Hi Plum, if you candy them yourself, let me know, i'd be very interested by the process.
I'm sure you'll find your way.
PS i strongly advise you to make them as their delicious; and the top glace cherry isn't essential (except for the pretty looking).
Love
Fanny

18 October, 2005 07:29 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam