Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Je suis en retard, en retard; ou peut-être au pays des merveilleuses tartes – Riz au lait au chocolat

[I’m late, very late; or maybe I’m just in wonder(tart)land – Chocolate riz au lait]

A mad tea party, by Arthur Rackham

Time goes by and I suddenly realise that all I’ve been writting about last month are a pie, a tarte and a crostata.
Have I missed something? Was October the month of tart?

There must be something comforting in baking tarts.
The reward of turning simple ingredients such as butter, flour and sugar into a delicious dough, the calmness of kneading it and the reassuring fragrance that fills the entire house.
And indeed, there are – at least for me - few things that make me feel as comfy as tarts do.

A tart seems to be perfect to warm up the cold days autumn is now bringing us.
I guess my current passion for tarts will not stop anytime soon: I can’t wait to recreate the lovely pecan tart I had in Toronto and the pasteis de Belem a sweet friend brought me back from Portugal.
A never-ending tea tart party!

Though, I feel like something will – for a short moment – sooth my tart cravings.


Riz au lait au chocolat
Riz au lait, litteraly milk rice, is the French name for a pudding made of rice cooked in sweetened milk.
It is usually flavoured with vanilla or even cinnamon if one wants to feel warm and cosy.
But I like my riz au lait best when very chocolaty. But then I am the ultimate chocolate lover!
This quite unusual twist brings out – in my humble opinion – the creaminess of the pudding and transforms the rather homely dessert into a luxurious treat.


Riz au lait au chocolat au lait
serves 4

300g milk
60g arborio rice
25g sugar
seeds from 1 vanilla pod
15g butter
100g milk chocolate

Put the milk, rice, sugar and vanilla seeds in a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible and simmer for 30 minutes or until almost all the milk has been absorbed.
Off the heat, mix in the butter and milk chocolate until melted and combined.
Divide the riz au lait between four ramekins and chill until set (at least 4 hours).

Labels: , ,






11 sweets:
Blogger Fabienne said something sweet:

Mais je suis persuadée que ton riz au lait est exquis ! Je veux bien t'attendre des heures et des heures si la récompense est ce riz au lait au chocolat !

09 November, 2006 22:33 

Blogger L Vanel said something sweet:

Miam!

09 November, 2006 23:02 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

This reminds me of a spanish dish my mom makes called arroz con leche...which I think is basically the same thing...we all love it! Your chocolate one looks heavenly! :)

10 November, 2006 01:53 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

mmmmmmm. warm, chocolatey and creamy.

There is a place in NYC that now just serves rice puddings, but I'm betting yours is better.

10 November, 2006 02:13 

Blogger Pille said something sweet:

I know I'd love that, and I really like the caramelised almonds on top! I made Pierre Herme's chocolate rice pudding earlier this year - http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2006/02/chocolate-rice-anyone.html - and am a convert to chocolate & rice desserts since then:)

10 November, 2006 08:27 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Oh Mon Dieu!
Qu'est-ce que ça à l'air bien!
Ah oui c'est vraiment un dessert du pays des merveilles...

10 November, 2006 09:09 

Blogger lobstersquad said something sweet:

that´s a new one. In Spain we put cinammon in rice pudding, nothing else. I would have killed for this one of yours as a child.

10 November, 2006 10:21 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

This is something I really like a lot but I never tried with chocolate.
Ciao.

14 November, 2006 11:02 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi Fanny,
I just have to express my admiration for this wonderful picture. Stunning composition. Baby blue and chocolate..

17 November, 2006 15:38 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

it looks devine! my mom used to mek it for us when we were kids ad sick, it was a special treat and we loved it though we had it warm and not chilled.

29 November, 2006 19:55 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi Fanny - love the new look, soooo sweet :)

05 December, 2006 02:36 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam