Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Monday, October 24, 2005
Making the Christmas Cake - STEP BY STEP

It is one of my skills to think about Christmas all year round and even more from October. I have been thinking of making this Xmas cake for weeks and weeks, but in Toulouse i don’t have an oven so i had to wait to be back home for the holidays to make it.
This year i decided to celebrate Christmas at my grand-parent’s with all my family. I thought it would be great to get all my relatives together since some haven’t seen each others for years. It’s going to be a great feast. I’ve already prepared the menu and the invitation cards. Can’t wait !

Last year i made a Xmas pudding and had the intention to make a Xmas cake, but sadly i didn’t have the time. So this year i only focus on Xmas cake (especially because i much prefer Xmas cake to pudding – think marzipan and royal icing, cake decoration...).

Since i wanted to spend time with this cake to feed my xmas addiction, i thought it would be fun to make a “step-by-step” recipe with pix for every step.
This xmas cake may not be conventionnal because i used more glacé cherries (yummy), more golden sultanas, no currants, less sultanas, no “usual” candied peels (but delicious orange candied peel), lots of galcé fruits (pears, more cherries, angélique...), but as i can’t remember the quantities i’ll just give you Nigella’s (yes again) ingredient list.

Making the Xmas cake – step by step
for a 23cm cake
700g sultanas (180g approx)
225g raisins
110g currants
110g glacé cherries
110g mixed peel
120ml brandy

225g butter, soft
195g brown sugar
½ tsp lemon zest
4 large eggs
2 tbsp marmelade
350g plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg











Labels: ,






5 sweets:
Blogger Chanita Harel חני הראל said something sweet:

Great step by step Xmas cake !
good idea to bake it now :-)
I Love your site ! thanks

24 October, 2005 19:00 

Blogger *fanny* said something sweet:

Hi Chanit,
thank u for the comment.
I hope it'll be good but i'll have a 2 month wait before i can actually taste it

24 October, 2005 20:17 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Looks wonderful! I am now inspired to try this even though I have never made this type of cake. Love your photos. You are very talented. What type of camera do you use?
Fran

25 October, 2005 04:15 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Yum. This looks so delicious and I love your step-by-step photos. Xmas cake is one of those things you always say you'll get around to, and then you never do. Well, I never do. Can't wait to hear how it tastes!

01 November, 2005 02:36 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi, Fanny:

I just stumbled on your site and was so surprised and pleased to find somebody else making Xmas cake! I posted my recipe for my family's favourite fruitcake on my blog, if you are curious. I also conducted The Great Christmas Cake Survey among my friends and acquaintances, as fruitcake is sometimes thought of as a joke in North America. How nice to know somebody else loves it!

Good luck with your lovely blog,
Tania

23 November, 2005 05:31 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam