Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Sunday, July 30, 2006
Mmm, c'est trop bon - Muffins aux pépites de chocolat

[Yum, it's so delicious - Chocolate chip muffins]

From Lisa Yockelson's Chocolate Chocolate (page 156)

Today I have a confession to make.
I did say that ChocolateChocolate wasn't that good because
I did think that there were too many similar recipes; making the reading a bit confusing but
I did buy it and
I did like the cover, design, writing and pictures but
I did still think there were far too many junk chocolate added to the cakes and bars then
I did make one recipe and another
And now I do love this book.

The recipes are trustful. You can't go wrong: well explained, accurate measurements (even if it's in cups and spoons).
This book is now a favourite although I won't try all the recipes (especially the ones with chopped chocolate bars added or the ones loaded with shredded coconut).

To tell the truth, I was still unsure about my book choice when I received the book from amazon, but when I made the flourless bittersweet chocolate cake I slightly changed my mind. Maybe it wasn't as bad.
Though the true révélation was when I made the chocolate chip muffins. A pure killer recipe.

Chocolate chip muffins are the type of food I wouldn't eat as a child. I would always go for madeleines and sablés, but certainly not for muffins – not enough fashionable at that time to be sold in France.
Now I crave muffins – not as big as a piece of cake but equally delicious (to say the least).
Though I'm always scared when buying a muffin – it is going to be too dry or too cakey?
With Lisa's muffins, you really don't have to worry. They're perfect.

Giant chocolate chip muffins
These muffins are just delicious. The crumb is fine and light and you have chocolate chips at each bite.
They keep well for 3 days – though I love them still warm from the oven, but the big bonus is that you can freeze them baked for up to a month!


Chocolate chip muffins
makes 14

2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chip (or a mixture of dark chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips)
160g butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
250ml milk

Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture.
Cream the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the granulate sugar and beat for 2 minutes; add the light brown sugar and beat for a further 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Still beating – on low speed – alternately add the flour mixture (in 3 times) and the milk (in 2 times).
Stir in the chocolate chip and divide the batter between 14 muffin cups.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Place the muffin pan onto a wire rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Then remove the muffins from the pan and serve.


PS. Congrats to Sam that got oven 2000$ of pledges!
'Now Sam you can relax and have bite' says Lapinou...

Labels: , , ,






11 sweets:
Blogger Elodie said something sweet:

A pure killer recipe, yeah ! For sure ! Merci Fanny de nous offrir le top du top à chaque fois.

30 July, 2006 20:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

They look gorgeous Fanny! So tempting!

30 July, 2006 20:42 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Ils ont l'air terriblement bons ces muffins !

30 July, 2006 20:45 

Blogger Julia said something sweet:

Hi Fanny, these look indeed pretty yummy!
Quick question though (...I don't really like plain muffins, I'm a bit more chocolate-chocolate-chocolate kind of girl!...)
If you want to make the dough slightly more chocolaty, should you then add some cocaopowder? and have you any idea how much?
I really do love muffins! But I too rarely buy them. Buying muffins is so thricky! They almost always look very delicious but then turn out to be a real disappointment...but these sound very good! tnx for the recipe!

30 July, 2006 22:47 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I've been a life-long muffin lover. They were one of the first things I learned to bake. Looks like a great recipe and lovely photos as always.

31 July, 2006 03:37 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Bonjour Fran!
These muffins look lovely! I've been eyeing the Chocolate Chocolate book for a while, and haven't been able to decide whether or not to get it... Thank you for your opinion on it!

31 July, 2006 14:32 

Blogger :: Pastry Girl :: said something sweet:

Great baker u are! Same here i made them last sun and it turned out to be quite terrible. U make me go hungry! thanks for the recipe. :)

01 August, 2006 16:41 

Blogger Fran said something sweet:

Looks delicious. Glad to get your recommendation on the book.

02 August, 2006 00:17 

Blogger Anupama said something sweet:

Fanny, this is the most attractive blog I have seen till now. your pics are fantabulous. Wanted to know more about DMBLGood

02 August, 2006 23:12 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I don't know how I've missed out on your site, but I'm here now (read through your archives this evening) and I love it. Everything you've featured looks delectable!

03 August, 2006 03:57 

Blogger Altaf said something sweet:

I was welling to buy the book until i read your opinion about the book. But that looking at the beatiful photo of this muffin, i'm reconsidering my thoughts about the book.

I wish if you could post a bundt cake recipe from the same book.

beatiful blog!

21 August, 2006 11:22 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam