Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Le colis magique

[The magical package]
As far as I can remember I've always been into food shopping. I went with my mother to the supermarket, farmers market… and always loved to go to the 'boulanger' to buy one or two 'baguettes pas trop cuites'. And while I was waiting in the queue at the bakery, I remember myself looking at the beautiful 'religieuses, éclairs' and other pastries. This was heaven for me, really!

Now I'm still up for some food shopping: from Toulouse farmers market to my local supermarket, from Harrods food hall to Waitrose, from Toronto's St Lawrence market to Jeffrey's (English deli in Antibes)… and so on.
I love to discover new products, new places… Basically I'm always looking for the freshest, yummiest products available, but sometimes a bit of junk makes me feel good: Crunchies, Cadbury's bars, cake mixes, vinegar crisps…
When go to English supermarket I'm always astonished with all the goodies on the shelf, things we can't find (at a normal price) here in France. But this seems to be applicable in the other way: I once found a tube of Nestle concentrated milk at 5£ in Harvey Nichols' fifth floor (while it costs around 1€ in French delis).
Anyway, when I go to England I always come back with a suitcase full of muffin cases, crunchies, cranberries, streaky bacon, oat, barley, dried fruits… and full of cookbooks (but this may not be the right place to discuss such a thing).


So you'll understand my reaction when I received two food 'colis' [packages] from my grand parents. Actually my dad had to go to Fouras (the city where my grand parents live) and when he went back home he stopped in Toulouse to say hello and to drop these two gorgeous packages packed with food goodies!

- 2 homemade compotes
- apricot jam
- 3 chicories salads
- 2 apples
- 'miel de forêt' [forest honey]
- coffee
- galette de Pont-Aven [butter biscuits from Britany]
- whole wheat bread
- fine milk chocolate
- organic canned peas
- kidney beans
- organic green beans
- canned sweet corn
- tuna
- beautiful small red potatoes
- a lemon
- shallots, onion and garlic
- tomato sauce
- pasta
- rice
- fast potato puree mix
- instant soups
- breakfast bread
- 2 soles
- homemade choucroute
- milk and water

I'm now feeling completely satisfied with my full cupboards and feel like I've received a great present. You may think "it's just food", yes I agree with you but I'd say "it is food packed with love and affection" (which has two meanings: the more evident one and the subtle one – if I'm passionate about food it's because of all the hours I spent in the kitchen looking at my grand mother cooking. When she cooks she put all her love in the food she cooks and I hope that one day I'll be able to do the same).
Je vous aime Grand-Père et Grand-Mère…


- -

Labels:






11 sweets:
Blogger Fabienne said something sweet:

Super ce panier, tu est chanceuse ...

24 January, 2006 20:45 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi Fanny
Hear you are coming to London next week. Mail me if you need any recommendations re ; restaurants etc. Your profile mentions that you are into fashion, me too, I can tell you where all the cool boutiques are.
Alex

24 January, 2006 22:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Beau panier ...

25 January, 2006 02:50 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I am the same way. I love going to farmers' markets and gourmet food stores. I really love it when they give out free samples. I could spend all day in those places.

25 January, 2006 03:14 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Very sweet! I think you will enjoy every bit of it. I can totally relate to your story!

25 January, 2006 03:33 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

What a lovely package Fanny! I would be excited too, definitely :) I love recieving food-related gifts, as well as exploring new markets :)

25 January, 2006 07:46 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

WAHHHHHHHO !!!
Le colis majic !!!
Kool !aussi, le montage, tro bien!

Aïda

25 January, 2006 14:02 

Blogger Valentina said something sweet:

Isn't it wonderful to receive food packages? one of the most wonderful treats.

26 January, 2006 00:33 

Blogger L Vanel said something sweet:

I have a similar memory that has stuck with me for a long time, my mother stopping by my new apartment to give me some "things for the larder". I was so thankful and I'll always remember it. It's the spirit of the giving that counts and you'll remember it always. Thank you for making me remember.

26 January, 2006 16:29 

Blogger Riana Lagarde said something sweet:

What a nice GIFT!!

My husband is from Toulouse, whenever we go to visit MIL, I have a great time shopping for food there.

Great photos!!

27 January, 2006 10:39 

Blogger Fran said something sweet:

This is so wonderful. You must have enjoyed each and every thing! Reminds me of my dear Grandmother who would make food boxes for me. I would stop by her house on my way home from work and she would just "happen" to have prepared "extra" fried chicken, wonderful beans cooked with ham, corn bread, fried apple pies and applesauce that she cooked with her secret ingredient (red hot candies). Aren't Grandparents and Parents wonderful? All of that unconditional love & caring! I wish I could have the same market shopping experiences you seem to have. Supermarkets are wonderful but it is just not the same.

29 January, 2006 21:02 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam