Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Soothing London - the last days - Cupcakes and roast chicken

Back from London, I can't remember much of the last few days apart from the fact that they might have been the most relaxing and enjoyable days in my life.
D. and I just stayed in Kingston and went to London once again. It was so cosy.
I baked my (not really) first ever cupcakes from the book I had recently purchased and they were a hit.
And we really enjoyed the German chocolate cupcakes along with a cup a hot chocolate (for me) or strong espresso (for D.).

Easy-mix yellow cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes

This recipe you can achieve the perfect-simple cupcake in a minute. All you have to do is mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ones.
So easy but oh so good!
The cream cheese frosting has the right consistency to be piped and is delicious (you must lick the spoon…).


For the cupcakes
1 ¼ cups plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup corn oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup sour cream

For the frosting
½ cup (100g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 ounces (170g) cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups icing sugar

To make the cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350°F-180°C.
Line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin cases.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the egg and yolk and sugar until thickened and lightened to a cream colour (fanny : I did that by hand and it took only 5 minutes, maybe even less).
Mix in the oil and vanilla until blended. Mix in the sour cream until no white streaks remain. Mix in the flour mixture until it is incorporated and the batter is smooth.
Fill the tins with the batter and bake for 23 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool on their tin for 10 minutes, then unmould and place the cupcakes on a wire rack until completely cooled.

To make the frosting
In a large bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth and thoroughly blended. Add the icing sugar, mixing until smooth.
The frosting is ready to use.


German chocolate cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ever since I saw German chocolate cupcakes on the cupcake bake shop, I have been desperate to make some myself.
So when I spotted this recipe I could only make it.
The cupcakes are moist and delicious.
Though, I didn't make the frosting that was given in the recipe but simply made a chocolate cream cheese frosting by replacing some of the icing sugar by cocoa powder.


easy-mix yellow cupcake batter (above)
¼ cup heavy cream
2/3 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
3 ounces (85g) semisweet chocolate
1/6 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F-180°C.
Line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin cases.
In a medium sauce pan heat the cream and butter over low heat until the butter has melted.
Remove the pan from the heat; add the chopped chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds to soften.
Add the vanilla and whisk the sauce until it is smooth and all the chocolate has melted.
Pour this sauce over the easy-mix yellow cupcake batter and mix until no light streaks remain.
Fill each paper liner with the batter and bake for 23 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool on their tin for 10 minutes, then unmould and place the cupcakes on a wire rack until completely cooled.


I also remember making a roast chicken with all the trimmings for supper. It was so delicious. Actually I have a great and unique way to cook the chicken that makes it tender and tasty.
With it we had the best roast potatoes ever; which I make using new potatoes. I know it's not usual, but I love the way the potatoes get so crispy outside and so soft-mashed inside. A pure delight! And I must talk about the Yorkshire puddings, my favourite dish ever. I love them big and golden; served just out from the oven with a good splash of gravy.
This is the end of my (short) trip to the UK. I hope I will be able to go back there soon.


- - - - -

Labels: , , , ,






9 sweets:
Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi Fanny

Your trip to london looks great.

The cupcakes are so pretty. I would be interested to know your secrets with regard to roasting chicken, I usually roast mine in stock and wine and baste every 20 mins.

07 February, 2006 19:37 

Blogger Fran said something sweet:

Hi Fanny-So enjoyed your posts about your trip. Everything on this post looks so delicious. Enjoy the memories!

07 February, 2006 20:51 

Blogger Banlieue Blog said something sweet:

Looks like you had a great time!
What is that roasted chicken recipe.....looks so tender?? Share the recipe?

08 February, 2006 19:52 

Blogger sooishi said something sweet:

Hello Fanny,
thank you for the inspiration!
I was lookin at your blog this afternoon, and i decided to make a "poulet en croûte de sel" my favorite one, yummy!

09 February, 2006 02:12 

Blogger *fanny* said something sweet:

Hi Alex, oh my god, your chicken sounds so good. I MUST try!!!

Hi Fran,
thank you so much for your kind words - as usual.
I hope you're over your knee injury.

Hi dreska, thank you. I think a cupcakes is an iced muffins - or at least this is my definitation. A cupcake is pretty while a muffin is plain!

Hi melissa, i'll post the roast chicken recipe when i'll have time.

Hi ooishigal, j'ai vu ton site il est genial. Hum les choux...

Love
xoxo
Fanny

PS: Thanx for visiting FOOD BEAM. I know i don't comment much on your blog but my studies keep so busy.

09 February, 2006 20:30 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Your new site is a very nice addition to this site, like yin and yan. Your English is really improving by the day too. Keep up the dreams and hard work and it will pay off! Best of luck.

Ps. Can you really find organic coconut? I have a hard time finding organic products where I live, especially exotic ones. Is it easy in France?

09 February, 2006 21:54 

Blogger *fanny* said something sweet:

Hi [e],
yes i can find organic exotic products in France, but i found the organic coconut flakes in England.
Thanx for being so nice
Love
Fanny

10 February, 2006 18:39 

Blogger Stephanie said something sweet:

I'm curious about the roast chicken recipe too and look forward to seeing it. I love the look of your cupcakes too ... definite sweet temptations! By the way, I found your blog via Blogher.

11 February, 2006 13:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Hi Fanny! I decided to try to make those gourgeous cupcakes and realise that is missing the amount of sugar. xx

23 July, 2006 00:33 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam