Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Friday, January 27, 2006
Sunshine Pasta - IMBB # 22

From COOK 1.0 by Heidi Swanson (p. 83)


As you can see from the last few posts I'm focusing on good healthy food. Actually I think that lots of people are getting aware of what is filling their plate.
By saying that I don't mean that I don't like a bite of junky food sometimes (come here Mr Krispy Kreme(s!!!)), but that it's worth considering that healthy food can be good in taste as well as good for your body.
However this movement is not new. But I have some reasons to make me think that healthy food is back in our plates and that it can be delicious.

For me, the goddess of yummy healthy food is Heidi from 101cookbooks.
Not only she's a vegetarian – which I tend to be as well from times to times (actually I haven't eaten meat since Christmas), but she claim herself as a food lover and what she cooks demonstrate it.
What's more to say?
Though I'm not a 100% vegetarian I agree with her when she writes: "For me, being vegetarian is just part of an overall awareness of where my food comes from and how its production affects the world around me".
And actually she is right. We want to know the origin of our food. Truth to be told, I don't understand all the people that can eat meat without knowing its provenance. I couldn't and indeed the last time I had veal for lunch it was at my grand mother's house because I trust her and know she would never buy meat from a supermarket.
Furthermore, I think it's interesting to discover new flavours such as grains, pastas, fruits, beans and spices – which flavours we don't think about when cooking a roast.

So my challenge for this month's IMBB hosted by Amy was to make something unexpected with noodles.
As I know that COOK 1.0 is a stock of yummy and original recipes, I decided to go for Heidi's Whole wheat penne with wilted spinach; but leaving out the spinach (when I was food shopping I totally forgot the spinach factor) and replacing the penne by broken whole wheat spaghettis.
So see it couldn't be called anymore like that so I decided it would be Heidi's sunshine pasta.


Sunshine Pasta
serves 4

This pasta dish is simply delicious. The flavours really work together. It's sweet, it's warm, and it's salty. Very, very, very comforting.
Anyway I can
only advise you to buy Heidi's book. I love the pictures (check out her blog and you'll see I'm not lying), the recipes and the great layout.


Prep and set aside:
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
½ cup plump died apricots (try to find Californian ones if you can – read here why)
½ cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup shredded parmesan
¾ crumbled feta

Boil 1 lb. whole wheat penne (or broken whole wheat spaghettis as I did) in a large pot of salted water according to the package instructions or until just tender.
Drain and immediately return the pasta to the pot over medium heat.

Stir in the butter and apricots. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the pine nuts, parmesan and a couple pinches of salt.
Gently stir in the feta and serve immediately.


- - - - - -

Labels: ,






6 sweets:
Blogger Valentina said something sweet:

What a lovely post. I totally agree that we should be very responsible when doing our food shopping. I buy meat from a local butcher who is very open about the provenance of his food and it can checked as well. I also tend to buy my fruit and veg from farmer's stores or farmer markets.This recipe you posted is divine by the way. It will be prepared this coming week by me.Thank you.

29 January, 2006 01:40 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Beautiful site -- I just found you this morning from 101 Cookbooks. Like you, I suffer a cookbook addiction and seldom use them for the recipes. (It is an addiction isn't it?) You've inspired me to try and cook more recipes from them!

29 January, 2006 14:27 

Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said something sweet:

Great recipe choice Fanny! This was a nice reminder to check out Heidi's cookbook too.

29 January, 2006 22:41 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Lovely idea. Very sunny and fresh!

29 January, 2006 23:08 

Blogger boo_licious said something sweet:

I didn't know Heidi had a cookbook until I read your post. Thanks so much for the info and the pasta is really lovely - simple flavours plus such a nice sunshiney orangey yellow that will definitely bring a smile to anyone's face.

30 January, 2006 20:27 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

je serais bien allée voir le nouvel an chinois et goûter les "sushis". bis bis à tous les deux...mum

04 February, 2006 14:55 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam