Send As SMS
foodbeam has moved here - Go to www.foodbeam.com !
Monday, February 12, 2007
Stepping into summer – Bill Granger’s peach, almond and yoghurt cake

As you now, already know, I’ve arrived in New Zealand last Saturday; pretty jetlagged - to tell the truth - but still immensely happy.
There was just this thing that kept me slightly disappointed.
I had dreamt of beautiful sand beaches and a sun so bright you could hardly see. Well, what I found arriving here was – let’s say – far from my expectations.
Imagine England during autumn. Then you’ve got it: a cloudy, freezing cold weather; nothing less, nothing more.
Not really what you would call summer, wouldn’t you?

Though, today something happened. After the rain - so cold I thought it was snow -, the clouds disappeared leaving place to a harsh and hot sun.
I immediately switched my Converses for KJacques (lovely leather flip flops from St Tropez) and although my feet are now begging for thick wool socks, I can’t help but smile. Smile from happiness: summer is finally here.


Peach, almond and yoghurt cake
adapted from Bill Granger’s simply bill

While I didn’t make this cake today (actually made it last week with the New Zealander summer in mind) it makes a beautiful summer cake.
Think a moist, light yet dense and deliciously scented cake.
Again this cake comes from Bill Granger, who’s now become my reference for no-fuss cakes.
Indeed, I always loved his way to cook and enhance clean, simple flavours; but I seemed to have forgotten him a little - in favour of my ultimate food-hero: Pierre Hermé.
Luckily when I decided to go for a bake-lots-of-cakes day, I stumbled across this and this. The gorgeous pictures and appealing flavours had my name written all over.
I couldn’t resist and I’m glad I didn’t. This day, although exhausting, resulted in two stunning cakes – one that help me face my disgust for the chocolate-orange combination and one that was perfect to turn me on to summer.

The latter is a really straight forward cake that is perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea; or indeed for anytime of the day. A real keeper!
The yoghurt makes for a wonderfully most cake, while the peach and good dose of vanilla provided a subtle and stylish flavour.
And the almonds! What a nice touch: they give both a lovely aroma and a beautiful look.


Peach, almond and yoghurt cake
serves 8

220 g unsalted butter, softened
250 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
225g self-raising flour, sifted
50 ml milk
250 ml plain yoghurt
450g peach, skinned and cut into dices
50 g flaked almonds

Preheat oven to 170°C.
Grease and line the base of a 23cm springform cake pan.

Place the butter and sugar in a bowl mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
Fold in the flour, milk and yoghurt and mix until barely combined.
Gently add the peach chunks.

Pour the mixture into a pan and sprinkle with the almonds.
Bake for 1 hour and 20 min or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. If browning too quickly, cover top of the cake with foil for the last 20 min of cooking. Remove and cool.

Labels: ,






31 sweets:
Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

oooooooooh!! je te retrouve enfin!!! ton gateau est amgnifique ma petite!! biiiiiiiises micky

12 February, 2007 10:18 

Blogger veronica said something sweet:

au pays de la gourmandise nous sommes toujours surs de trouver du beau et du bon ...

12 February, 2007 10:55 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

This looks yummy!!Can't wait to try ur recipe!! It looks awesome. Thanx for sharing the recipe. Do peep into
my blog and lemme know how you like it!! Cheers!!

12 February, 2007 13:25 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

This cake looks delicious and the photo has all the colors of summer. Hope that the weather will be better but i think that it's quiet cold in New Zealand...

12 February, 2007 14:46 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Saw Bill on BBC tv this Saturday making something peachy (crumble bars) and told Ed (knowing you like Bill) that you are now much closer to his cooking...Don't know if you areplanning on visiting Australia, but this would be an opportunity of course.

12 February, 2007 15:51 

Blogger evinrude said something sweet:

oh this looks so good! i always wonder how you get cakes that look so light and crumbly because everytime i bake cakes with similar recipes they turn out dense and compact but nothing like yours!

12 February, 2007 16:45 

Blogger Caty said something sweet:

The cake looks delicious! I hope you're really enjoying New Zealand and I hope the weather clears up for you. I went 2 years ago and got some great weather and some awful weather. Where abouts are you?

12 February, 2007 17:42 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

j'étais justement en train de me demander comment t'avais fait pour emmener tous tes livres de cuisine en NZ... je t'immaginais bien en train de négocier au guichet: "mais non ce n'est pas de la surcharge, c'est l'essentiel au contraire!"

12 February, 2007 18:18 

Blogger Wanderlusting said something sweet:

New Zealand is best in Feb/March, you picked a great time to go! I lived in Auckland for a year and spent awhile traveling too. I would love to go back and visit one day...perfect for a campervan honeymoon too! So jealous ;)

If you want some tips on NZ and they best things to see and do, I've wrote a lot on my travel blog about it here.

Maybe you can do a recipe for their coveted pavlova??

Though nothing can beat that almond and yogurt cake. YUM!!!

13 February, 2007 00:17 

Blogger Wanderlusting said something sweet:

Whoopsies! That link is wrong, it's actually this one:

13 February, 2007 00:20 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Your cake looks lovely Fannie! Hope you are enjoying your New Zealand adventure :)

13 February, 2007 03:01 

Blogger Pille said something sweet:

Enjoy NZ, Fanny! I should make a cake like that - it's been -10Celsius for the last few weeks here:)
PS I've got 2 Bill Granger books, but they're still back in Edinburgh with some friends. Cannot wait to get hold of them - he's a great writer, with such sunny recipes!

13 February, 2007 09:02 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

I'm so jealous that you're in beautiful summer weather right now. It is snowning, yet again, out here. Your cake looks delicious! I'll have to make it and bring myself a little summer.

13 February, 2007 21:22 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

It's cold and dank right now and this looks just perfect for a sunny day. Jealous of your sunshine and warmth!

14 February, 2007 12:53 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Nice recipe and beautiful photos... Have fun in NZ!
I was in Singapore last year for 7 months (with my job), I had a lot of fun... and a worderful experience.
Ciao.

14 February, 2007 15:18 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Mmmmm .... Ce gâteau nous fait partager un peu de l'été que tu as récemment rencontré !
MERCI !

15 February, 2007 10:28 

Blogger apprendistacuoca said something sweet:

very beautiful blog, very beautiful recipe, and very beautiful photos!

16 February, 2007 12:46 

Blogger Peabody said something sweet:

Oh how I adore yogurt cake.

17 February, 2007 12:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Welcome to New Zealand - I am not sure how long you are staying but it is true that out weather has not been summery until the last week or so! I hope it improves for you.

Bill Granger! If you get to Sydney on your travels you must visit one of his cafes and try his Ricotta Hot Cates...

I think your post has inspired me to buy his book!

17 February, 2007 21:53 

Blogger Valentina said something sweet:

Fanny, what a gorgeous cake!! I cannot wait for summer to arrive and all the gorgeous summer produce with it. I had been absent for a while and did not know that you were in New Zealand.I hope that you have a wonderful time over there. Is it a holiday trip?

18 February, 2007 11:35 

Blogger Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said something sweet:

Your cake looks like the epitome of summer time! I love to cook with peaches that I buy from the farmers market in the summer time. I shall have to try this recipe, it looks marvelous! Oh I can't wait till summer comes to upstate NY.

19 February, 2007 00:13 

Blogger Scribbit said something sweet:

Looks delicious. I think I'd add a huge topping of whipped cream--everything's better with whipped cream.

20 February, 2007 01:21 

Blogger sooishi said something sweet:

coucou contente de voir que tout va bien :)
Ce gâteau à l'air absolument divin!
kiss

21 February, 2007 14:05 

Blogger Julie said something sweet:

Beautiful cake! I can't believe New Zealand is so cold right now. I hope you get some warm, sunny weather. I had to comment because I love yogurt cake, and this one looks so good with chunks of fruit through it.

22 February, 2007 04:37 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Fanny, what a great cake and what a great blog. It's nice to get a blast of sunshine in the middle of a Canadian winter. By the way, I love the tang of yogurt in cakes and quick breads. It gives any baked good extra zip, and the peaches are a slice of pure summer. Gorgeous!

24 February, 2007 05:31 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

What a wonderful adventure! The cake looks and sounds divine. Delicate peach and almond... yum.

Enjoy the NZ summer!

x

26 February, 2007 20:41 

Blogger Fabienne said something sweet:

Converse - Kjacques (les préférées de Jackie Kennedy !), tu as très bon goût en matière de chaussures !

28 February, 2007 17:13 

Blogger irem said something sweet:

hi fanny, i've just found out your foodbeam, and i'm keep looking and looking your sweetssss, your recipes, your books. really nice. have a good time in new zealand..

ps: also the cake looks awesome! I m gonna bake it ASAP :) bye.

28 February, 2007 22:15 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Looks great. Good for the summertime.

01 March, 2007 17:19 

Blogger Mandira said something sweet:

Wow, the cake looks fabulous. Can't wait to ry it. Thanks for sharing.

02 March, 2007 19:13 

Anonymous Anonymous said something sweet:

Oh, my, how I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I'll definately be back.


xoxoxoox

Rebekka

12 March, 2007 21:59 

Post a Comment

Back to foodbeam